You can get a lot of these ingredients from health shops such as www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk
• ⅓ cup millet
• 1½ pounds sweet potatoes 1-2 small deseeded jalapenos
• 1 cup old gluten free oats
• 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 can (15 ounces) corn, drained
• ½ small red onion, diced
• 1 -2 handfuls fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
• 2 teaspoons cumin powder
• 1 teaspoon coriander powder
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• ½ teaspoon cayenne powder (optional, to taste)
• ½ teaspoon salt
• High quality Grapeseed oil for cooking burgers
• Gluten free hamburger buns (optional)
• Your favorite toppings like relish avocado, tomato, lettuce, ketchup or whatever your heart desires.
1. BAKE THE POTATOES
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the sweet potatoes into quarters and bake until they start to soften up. It should take about 45 minutes or longer. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled down, remove the skin (it should pull off easily) and cut up into smaller pieces. Set aside to cool completely.
2. PREPARE THE MILLET
In a small pot, bring 1 cup of water to a rolling boil slowly stir in the millet. Reduce the heat to low and simmer while covered until it starts to get tender (about 30 minutes). If there is any liquid left make sure to drain well and let cool. GRIND OATMEAL Use a food processor or blender to grind the oats. They should only be coarsely ground.
3. MIX IT UP In a large bowl combine the cooked sweet potatoes and millet, chickpeas, corn, black beans, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, cumin, coriander powder, cayenne powder, paprika, and pink salt. Mix up all the ingredients really well making sure the beans and chickpeas get a good smashing. It might come in handy to just use your hands or a a potato masher
4. Pour the ground oats over the mixture and mix well with a big spoon until the mixture holds together when you shape a portion into a patty. If possible, cover and refrigerate the mixture for best results (the patties will hold together better during cooking if they are chilled first).
5. MAKE THE PATTIES:
6. You can make these patties any size you like. Use your hands to gently roll and flatten the burgers out. Repeat the process for each patty. If you would like to toast your hamburger buns, preheat the oven to 350 degrees now.
7. BARBEQUE OR PANFRY THE BURGERS To pan fry all you need to do is heat 1 tablespoon of any oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook each patty until it turns a nice golden brown color and are heated through. It will take about 4 to 5 minutes for each side. Add more oil when needed.